Welcome to the Shire of Sangre del Sol, the Broward County, Florida local branch of the Society for Creative Anachronism, a medieval and Renaissance recreation group, residing in the Kingdom of Trimaris (Florida). The Society is an international not-for-profit educational organization dedicated to researching and re-creating pre-17th-century European history. The Shire of Sangre del Sol is the Broward County (plus a small part of Southern Palm Beach county) chapter of the SCA within the Kingdom of Trimaris which represents the greater Florida portion of the Society. For further information, contact the Hospitaller.
During our winter Shrewsbury we will be holding the following contests:
- Bring all your baked goods to Shrewsbury Faire for sampling! Dishes can be either savory or sweet. Please include a list of ingredients (for allergy reasons.) Period accuracy is not required, but is encouraged. Multiple entries per person allowed. Judging will be populace choice. The chef of the dish must be on site during the event.
- Have you worked hard on a mead, cordial, ale or other beverage this year? If you don’t mind sharing, you can bring it to Shrewsbury Faire for tasting. Please include a list of ingredients (for allergy purposes). Multiple entries per person allowed. Judging will be populace choice. The brewer must be on site during the event.
- “Unlive” Livestock
- Our most popular contest is back! It’s a little late in the year, but you can still bring that livestock you’ve lovingly cared for all year to Shrewsbury to be judged. Entries can be anything livestock inspired, but must not be living. In the past, we had a poem, stuffed animals, an illuminated scroll, and a herd of (very) minature sheep entered for judging.
- This is a performance based contest. Participants will perform a historical piece, an SCA piece, or an original piece in a historical style not to exceed 7 minutes. Poetry, song and drama are all accepted forms. Instumental accompaniment is not only allowed, but encouraged.
- Groups may enter, but there can only be one recipient of the regalia
- Our regalia, the Hoo Lyre is the property of the Shire of Sangre del Sol and must be returned at the beginning of the next Shrewsbury Faire or when asked by Sangre’s seneschal. Personal information will be collected if you receive the lyre.
- Judging will be populace choice.
- The Twelve Trials
- We will be offering a twelve part scavenger hunt at Shrewbury. Entrants will have to perform several tasks. If multiple members of the populace make it through the trials, a winner will be determined by random drawing.
We are currently looking for a few more classes for Shrewsbury! Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in teaching.
Current Class List:
- Newcomer’s Class- Lady Cera Wrict
- Paper Marbling- HL Enise bint Oghuz
- Introduction to Making Meads and Cordials- Lady Morgan Goch Bengrek
- Introduction to Medieval Astronomy- Sayyeda al-‘Aliyya bint Ibrahim al-Shaatira
- Spanish Rapier: Introduction to Destreza Verdadera- Robert the Grey
- Introduction to Combat Archery- Lord Alejandro de Leon
to Shrewsbury Faire. December 9th-11th at the Heron Preserve at Markham Park.
In lieu of our shire charging a fee, we would really appreciate if all participants would donate a new, unwrapped toy at registration.
We’re going to have many of the usual activities at Shrewsbury, including fighting, contests, and classes. Go through your closets and bring stuff to barter! Cook a dish for the potluck. Make it through all of the twelve trials.
For more information: http://new.sangredelsol.org/
From now on, scribal nights will be paired with a movie night and take place every other Tuesday (barring other events/holidays). The first movie/Scribal night will take place on September 13th.
Hope to see you there!
Our next event is in the works! Check back later in September for more details!
We are proud to announce we will be conducting a Bardic Competition on the night of October 24th at Shrewsbury Harvest Faire. Due to the generosity of Honorable Lord Herbert, the Shire has been provided with a replica Hoo Lyre that will serve as a token. The winner will receive the lyre, with the condition that it be brought back to the shire in time for next Shrewsbury in order to be presented to the next champion of our Bardic Contest.
- This is a performance based contest. Participants will perform a historical piece, an SCA piece or an original piece in a historical style not to exceed 7 minutes. Poetry, Song, and drama are all accepted forms. Instrumental accompaniment is not only allowed, but encouraged.
- Groups may enter, but there can only be one winner since only one lyre and one scroll have been provided.
- The Hoo Lyre is the property of the Shire of Sangre del Sol and must be returned to the Shire of Sangre del Sol at the beginning of the next Shrewsbury Faire or when asked by Sangre’s Seneschal.
- Since Shrewsbury is an event that encourages enthusiasm for the arts, and less about exhibition rules; it has been determined that judging will be POPULACE CHOICE.
Overall, have fun and make sure your audience has fun as well.
We will be serving the following for Shrewsbury:
$5 FUNDRAISER LUNCH
- Small game bird (rock cornish hen)
- Spinach, artichoke, mushroom, and cheese pasties
- Fresh fruit
DINNER (Part of event fee – bring your own bowl)
- Pork stew
- Home-baked bread
No traveler’s fare will be served Friday night.
What is the Shrewsbury Faire?
The Shrewsbury Faire is a biannual event hosted by the Shire of Sangre del Sol (and sometimes co-hosted by our neighbor shire, The Shire of Southkeep.) The Shrewsbury Faire is held in late Spring/Early Summer and the Shrewsbury Harvest Faire is held in the Fall. They are styled to be laid back, “let your wimple down” events.
I’m at Markham Park and I can’t find you all? Where are you located?
We are located in the Heron Preserve in the Primitive Camping area. After entering the park, take a left. Go past the dog park and some of the RV camping lots to the back of the park. We should be on the right.
What is the $1.50 park fee listed on the flyer?
Markham Park requires a $1.50 per person entry fee at the front gate on weekends. So if you come to set up on Friday, there’s no fee!
Is camping allowed? What kind of facitilites are offered?
Primitive (tent) camping is allowed on site. Showers are accessible with a code that will be provided if needed when you reach the site. If you wish to camp in an RV, the park has RV camping, but those arrangements must be made in advance and with the park directly.
What activities are planned?
- Brewing– Bring your best brew to be sampled and judged by the populace. Multiple entries welcome.
- Baking– Bring your best baked goods to be sampled and judged by the populace. Multiple entries welcome.
- Apple Bobbing
- Effigy crafting– Craft an effigy to be judged by the populace. The effigies will later be burned on the evening’s bonfire so we ask that they be made of natural materials, less than 6ft tall, and not resemble anyone in the SCA.
- “Unlive” Livestock Competition– Bring your best livestock themed item to be judged.
- Bardic Competition– Wow the populace with a performance piece. Rules can be found here.
Also Classes, archery (including a gourd shoot) and fighting. More details to come soon.
Will there be classes?
Yes. The class list will be posted once the schedule is finalized.
What is an “unlive” livestock competition?
One of our favorite contests, the livestock competition is a lighthearted contest where scadians may bring a livestock inspired item (as long as it is not a live animal) to be judged. Documentation or period accuracy are not neccesarily required. Past entries include:
- Herds of stuffed sheep and dragons
- Woven bands with images of animals
- A poem of sheep adventure
- A pig carved out of a watermelon
Will there be any fighting?
Yes. More details will be posted soon.
What types of children’s activities will you have?
More details will be posted soon.
- 4:00pm- Site opens
- Travelers’ Fare
- 9:00am- Reservation Opens
- 10:00am- Archery Range Opens
- 10:00am- Breakfast
- 11:00am-12:45pm- Classes
- 1:00pm- Fundraiser Lunch
- 2:00pm-5:45pm- Classes
- 6:00pm- Dancing and music
- 7:00pm- Feast
Post Feast we will have a Bardic Circle.
- Classes offered
- Chinese Medicine- Lord Augustine Von Kleve
- Woodworking: Stool Construction- Lord Cian Mac Cullough
- Making a Drop Spindle- Lady Morgan Goch Bengrek
- Beginning Spinning- Brianna of Sangre
- Basic Lucet- Joy of Sangre
- Relief Woodcarving- Lord Ristard Mac Iomhair
- Competitions Held
- Unlive Livestock Competition- Bring your best inspired artwork, food item, woodcarving, textile etc. to our fair to be judged by the populace
- Apple Bobbing Contest
- Combat Archery Apple shoot
- 10:00am- Archery Range Opens
- 4:00pm- Site closes